Sunday, September 7, 2008

Movie to Watch


With my man out last night at a bachelor party, I got to do one of my favorite things: Order Chinese food, watch an old movie, and knit with a kitty in my lap, all with the house to myself. TCM On Demand had The Gay Divorcee to offer, and I made it my choice...and loved it. I have to admit that I haven't seen as many Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers collaborations as I should have. This one is their second, and it doesn't disappoint. Both are in fantastic form, and Rogers has some fantastic dresses and equally fantastic hats. Plus, when watching her feet, you get the dual pleasure of admiring her dancing and admiring her shoes. The Continental number at the end of the movie is representative of the old super-tight dance numbers with probably about a hundred dancers, all in beautiful black and white.

As a bonus, you get to see a young, pre-famous Betty Grable. Robert Osborne explains after the film that her rise to stardom directly coincided with the birth of color cinema, and here she is essentially still working in the trenches as a chorus girl--look for her listed at the very bottom of the intro acting credits, when just a few years later she'd be headlining major films and the most popular World War II pinup.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Pinup Tales by Kitty du Vert is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.